Meet the Artist | Tom Abbiss Smith
Talking inspiration and creative advice in this quick catch up with one of our artists Tom Abbiss Smith.
- Hi Tom! How’s it going?
- Hey Guys. Pretty good thank you!
- How long have you been creating?
- I've been creating abstract artworks for about 3 years now, I really got into art at the start of college, however, had been surrounded by art and encouraged to create from a young age.
- Ah cool and what was your first ever artwork?
I can imagine a weird looking animal from my childhood sketchbook, I recently discovered one with a funny penguin, giraffe and bear in there, I think I like them more than my work now haha.
- How about your most recent artwork?
- My most recent piece was 'Oleander' which was inspired by my visit to the Urban Jungle, Norfolk which had an amazing selection of plants to admire
- If not your current career path, what would you do instead?
- Try and make instrumental hip-hop or gardening, I feel like those are both creative things to do still!
- What's your advice for those who are decorating their homes with your artworks.
- I think it's quite nice to display pieces with similar shapes or colour schemes together.
- And an advice for our starting artists?
- Do what you love to do or that feels most natural, not what might seem popular or be trending.
I think you're most likely to make the most successful pieces this way as your heart is fully in it.
ToM's Favourite Films
- Talented Mr. Ripley. Anthony Minghella, 1999
- Atlantis. Luc Besson, 1991
- Ponyo. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008
- Style Wars. Tony Silver, 1983
- The Cat Returns. Hiroyuki Morita, 2002
- Kristin Berg Johnsen
- Antti Kekki
- Sarah Fennell
- Henri Matisse