Meet the Artist | Tom Abbiss Smith
Talking inspiration and creative advice in this quick catch up with one of our artists
Tom Abbiss Smith.
- Hi Tom! How’s it going?
- Hey Guys. Pretty good thank you!
- How long have you been creating?
- I've been creating abstract artworks for about 3 years now, I really got into art at the start of college, however, had been surrounded by art and encouraged to create from a young age.
- Ah cool and what was your first ever artwork?
I can imagine a weird looking animal from my childhood sketchbook, I recently discovered one with a funny penguin, giraffe and bear in there, I think I like them more than my work now haha.
- How about your most recent artwork?
- My most recent piece was 'Oleander' which was inspired by my visit to the Urban Jungle, Norfolk which had an amazing selection of plants to admire
- If not your current career path, what would you do instead?
- Try and make instrumental hip-hop or gardening, I feel like those are both creative things to do still!
- What's your advice for those who are decorating their homes with your artworks.
- I think it's quite nice to display pieces with similar shapes or colour schemes together.
- And an advice for our starting artists?
- Do what you love to do or that feels most natural, not what might seem popular or be trending.
I think you're most likely to make the most successful pieces this way as your heart is fully in it.
ToM's Favourite Films
Talented Mr. Ripley. Anthony Minghella, 1999
Atlantis. Luc Besson, 1991
Ponyo. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008
Style Wars. Tony Silver, 1983
The Cat Returns. Hiroyuki Morita, 2002
Kristin Berg Johnsen